欢迎光临
我们一直在努力

维洛那二绅士 Act I Scene 02

Two Gentlemen of Verona

维洛那二绅士

by William Shakespeare 莎士比亚

01SCENE II.

Garden of JULIA's house.

朱利娅家中花园

Enter JULlA and LUCETTA

朱利娅及露西塔上。

But say, Lucetta, now we are alone, Wouldst thou then counsel me to fall in love?

露西塔,现在这儿没有别人,告诉我,你赞成我跟人家恋爱吗?

Ay, madam, so you stumble not unheedfully.

我赞成,小姐,只要您不是莽莽撞撞的。

Of all the fair resort of gentlemen That every day with parle encounter me, In thy opinion which is worthiest love?

照你看起来,在每天和我言辞晋接的这一批高贵绅士中间,哪一位最值得敬爱?

Please you repeat their names, I'll show my mind According to my shallow simple skill.

请您一个个举出他们的名字来,我可以用我的粗浅的头脑批评他们。

What think'st thou of the fair Sir Eglamour?

你看漂亮的爱格勒莫爵士怎样?

As of a knight well-spoken, neat and fine; But, were I you, he never should be mine.

他是一个谈吐风雅、衣冠楚楚的骑士; 可是假如我是您,我就不会选中他。

What think'st thou of the rich Mercatio?

你看富有的墨凯西奥怎样?

Well of his wealth; but of himself, so so.

他虽然有钱,人品却不过如此。

What think'st thou of the gentle Proteus?

你看温柔的普洛丢斯怎样?

Lord, Lord! to see what folly reigns in us!

主啊!主啊!请看我们凡人是何等愚蠢!

How now! what means this passion at his name?

咦!你为什么听见了他的名字要这样感慨呢?

Pardon, dear madam:

恕我,亲爱的小姐;

'tis a passing shame That I, unworthy body as I am, Should censure thus on lovely gentlemen.

可是像我这样一个 卑贱之人,怎么配批评高贵的绅士呢?

Why not on Proteus, as of all the rest?

为什么别人可以批评,普洛丢斯却批评不得?

Then thus: of many good I think him best.

因为他是许多好男子中间最好的一个。

Your reason?

何以见得?

I have no other, but a woman's reason; I think him so because I think him so.

我除了女人的直觉以外没有别的理由; 我以为他最好,因为我觉得他最好。

And wouldst thou have me cast my love on him?

你愿意让我把爱情用在他的身上吗?

Ay, if you thought your love not cast away.

是的,要是您不以为您是在浪掷您的爱情。

Why he, of all the rest, hath never moved me.

可是他比其余的任何人都更冷冰冰的,从来不向我追求。

Yet he, of all the rest, I think, best loves ye.

可是我想他比其余的任何人都更要爱您。

His little speaking shows his love but small.

他不多说话,这表明他的爱情是有限的。

Fire that's closest kept burns most of all.

火关得越紧,烧起来越猛烈。

They do not love that do not show their love.

在恋爱中的人们,不会一无表示。

O, they love least that let men know their love.

不,越是到处宣扬着他们的爱情的,他们的爱情越靠不住。

I would I knew his mind.

我希望我能知道他的心思。

Peruse this paper, madam.

请读这封信吧,小姐。(给朱利娅信。)

'To Julia.'

“给朱利娅”。

Say, from whom?

——这是谁写来的?

That the contents will show.

您看过就知道了。

Say, say, who gave it thee?

说出来,谁交给你这封信?

Valentine's page; and sent, I think, from Proteus.

凡伦丁的仆人送来这封信,我想是普洛丢斯叫他送来的。

He would have given it you; but I, being in the way, Did in your name receive it: pardon the fault I pray.

他本来要当面交给您,我因为刚巧遇见他,所以就替您收下了。 请您原谅我的放肆吧。

Now, by my modesty, a goodly broker!

嘿,好一个牵线的!

Dare you presume to harbour wanton lines?

你竟敢接受调情的书简,

To whisper and conspire against my youth?

瞒着我跟人家串通一气,来欺侮我年轻吗?

Now, trust me, 'tis an office of great worth And you an officer fit for the place.

这真是一件好差使,你也真是一个能干的角色。把这信拿去,给我退回原处,

Or else return no more into my sight.

否则再不用见我的面啦。

To plead for love deserves more fee than hate.

为爱求情,难道就得到一顿责骂吗?

Will ye be gone?

你还不去吗?

That you may ruminate.

我就去,好让您仔细思忖一番。

(下。)

And yet I would I had o'erlooked the letter:

可是我希望我曾经窥见这信的内容。

It were a shame to call her back again And pray her to a fault for which I chid her.

我把她这样责骂过了,现在又不好意思叫她回来,反过来恳求她。

What a fool is she, that knows I am a maid, And would not force the letter to my view!

Since maids, in modesty, say 'no' to that Which they would have the profferer construe 'ay.'

一个温淑的姑娘嘴里尽管说不,她却要人家解释作是的。

Fie, fie, how wayward is this foolish love That, like a testy babe, will scratch the nurse And presently all humbled kiss the rod!

唉!唉!这一段痴愚的恋情是多么颠倒,正像一个坏脾气的婴孩一样,一会儿在他保姆身上乱抓乱打,一会儿又服服贴贴地甘心受责。

How churlishly I chid Lucetta hence, When willingly I would have had her here!

刚才我把露西塔这样凶狠地撵走,现在却巴不得她快点儿回来;

How angerly I taught my brow to frown, When inward joy enforced my heart to smile!

当我一面装出了满脸怒容的时候,内心的喜悦却使我心坎里满含着笑意。

My penance is to call Lucetta back And ask remission for my folly past.

现在我必须引咎自责,叫露西塔回来,请她原谅我刚才的愚蠢。

What ho! Lucetta!

喂,露西塔!

Re-enter LUCETTA

露西塔重上。

What would your ladyship?

小姐有什么吩咐?

Is't near dinner-time?

现在是快吃饭的时候了吧?

I would it were, That you might kill your stomach on your meat And not upon your maid.

我希望是,免得您空着肚子 在佣人身上出气。

What is't that you took up so gingerly?

你在那边小小心心地拾起来的是什么?

没有什么。

Why didst thou stoop, then?

那么你为什么俯下身子去?

To take a paper up that I let fall.

我在地上掉了一张纸,把它拾了起来。

And is that paper nothing?

那张纸难道就不算什么?

Nothing concerning me.

它不干我什么事。

Then let it lie for those that it concerns.

那么让它躺在地上,留给相干的人吧。

Madam, it will not lie where it concerns Unless it have a false interpeter.

小姐,它对相干的人是不会说谎的,除非它给人家误会了。

Some love of yours hath writ to you in rhyme.

是你的什么情人寄给你的情诗吗?

That I might sing it, madam, to a tune. Give me a note: your ladyship can set.

小姐,要是您愿意给它谱上一个调子,我可以把它唱起来。您看怎么样?

As little by such toys as may be possible.

我看这种玩意儿都十分无聊。

Best sing it to the tune of 'Light o' love.'

可是你要唱就按《爱的清光》那个调子去唱吧。

It is too heavy for so light a tune.

这个歌儿太沉重了,和轻狂的调子不配。

Heavy! belike it hath some burden then?

沉重?准是重唱那部分加得太多了。

Ay, and melodious were it, would you sing it.

正是,小姐。可是您要唱起来,一定能十分宛转动人。

And why not you?

你为什么就不唱呢?

I cannot reach so high.

我调门没有那么高。

Let's see your song.

拿歌儿来我看看。

How now, minion!

(取信)怎么,这贱丫头!

Keep tune there still, so you will sing it out:

您就这么唱起来吧;

And yet methinks I do not like this tune.

可是我想我不大喜欢这个调子。

You do not?

你不喜欢?

No, madam; it is too sharp.

是,小姐,太刺耳了。

You, minion, are too saucy.

你这丫头太放肆了。

Nay, now you are too flat And mar the concord with too harsh a descant:

这回您的调子又太直了。 这么粗声粗气的岂不破坏了原来的音律?

There wanteth but a mean to fill your song.

本来您的歌儿里只缺一个男高音。

The mean is drown'd with your unruly bass.

男高音早叫你这下流的女低音给盖过去了。

Indeed, I bid the base for Proteus.

我这女低音不过是为普洛丢斯低声下气地祈求。

This babble shall not henceforth trouble me.

你再油嘴滑舌,我可不答应了。

Here is a coil with protestation!

瞧谁再敢拿进这种不三不四的书信来!

Tears the letter Go get you gone, and let the papers lie:

(撕信)给我出去,让这些纸头丢在地上;

You would be fingering them, to anger me.

你碰它们一下我就要生气。

She makes it strange; but she would be best pleased To be so anger'd with another letter.

她故意这样装模作样,其实心里巴不得人家再送一封信来,好让她再发一次脾气。

(下。)

Nay, would I were so anger'd with the same!

不,就是这一封信已经够使我心痛了!

O hateful hands, to tear such loving words!

啊,这一双可恨的手,忍心把这些可爱的字句撕得粉碎!

Injurious wasps, to feed on such sweet honey And kill the bees that yield it with your stings!

就像残酷的黄蜂一样,刺死了蜜蜂而吮吸它的蜜。

I'll kiss each several paper for amends.

为了补赎我的罪愆,我要遍吻每一片碎纸。

Look, here is writ 'kind Julia.'

瞧,这里写着“仁慈的朱利娅”:

Unkind Julia!

狠心的朱利娅!

As in revenge of thy ingratitude, I throw thy name against the bruising stones, Trampling contemptuously on thy disdain.

我要惩罚你的薄情,把你的名字掷在砖石上,把你任情地践踏蹂躏。

And here is writ 'love-wounded Proteus.'

这里写着“受创于爱情的普洛丢斯”:

Poor wounded name! my bosom as a bed Shall lodge thee till thy wound be thoroughly heal'd; And thus I search it with a sovereign kiss.

疼人的受伤的名字! 把我的胸口做你的眠床,养息到你的创痕完全平复吧,让我用起死回生的一吻吻在你的伤口上。

But twice or thrice was 'Proteus' written down.

这儿有两三次提着普洛丢斯的名字;

Be calm, good wind, blow not a word away Till I have found each letter in the letter, Except mine own name: that some whirlwind bear Unto a ragged fearful-hanging rock And throw it thence into the raging sea!

风啊,请不要吹起来,好让我找到这封信里的每一个字; 我单单不要看见我自己的名字,让一阵旋风把它卷到狰狞丑怪的岩石上,再把它打下波涛汹涌的海中去吧!

Lo, here in one line is his name twice writ, 'Poor forlorn Proteus, passionate Proteus, To the sweet Julia:' that I'll tear away.

瞧,这儿有一行字,两次提到他的名字: “被遗弃的普洛丢斯,受制于爱情的普洛丢斯,给可爱的朱利娅。”我要把朱利娅的名字撕去;

And yet I will not, sith so prettily He couples it to his complaining names.

不,他把我们两人的名字配合得如此巧妙,

Thus will I fold them one on another:

我要把它们折叠在一起;

Now kiss, embrace, contend, do what you will.

现在你们可以放胆地相吻拥抱,彼此满足了。

Re-enter LUCETTA

露西塔重上。

Madam, Dinner is ready, and your father stays.

小姐,饭已经预备好了,老爷在等着您。

Well, let us go.

好,我们去吧。

What, shall these papers lie like tell-tales here?

怎么!让这些纸片丢在这儿,给人家瞧见议论吗?

If you respect them, best to take them up.

你要是这样关心着它们,那么还是把它们拾起来吧。

Nay, I was taken up for laying them down:

不,我可不愿再挨骂了;

Yet here they shall not lie, for catching cold.

可是让它们躺在地上,也许会受了寒。

I see you have a month's mind to them.

你倒是怪爱惜它们的。

Ay, madam, you may say what sights you see; I see things too, although you judge I wink.

呃,小姐,随您怎样说吧; 也许您以为我是瞎子,可是我也生着眼睛呢。

Come, come; will't please you go?

来,来,还不走吗?

(同下。)

赞(58)
分享到: 更多

评论 抢沙发

  • 昵称 (必填)
  • 邮箱 (必填)
  • 网址