欢迎光临
我们一直在努力

维洛那二绅士 Act IV Scene 04

Two Gentlemen of Verona

维洛那二绅士

by William Shakespeare 莎士比亚

04SCENE IV. 第四场

The same. 同前。

Enter LAUNCE, with his his Dog

朗斯携犬上。

When a man's servant shall play the cur with him, look you, it goes hard: one that I brought up of a puppy; one that I saved from drowning, when three or four of his blind brothers and sisters went to it.

一个人不走运时,自己的仆人也会像恶狗一样反过来咬他一口。 这畜生,我把它从小喂大; 它的三四个兄弟姊妹落下地来眼睛还没睁开,便给人淹死了,是我把它救了出来。

I have taught him, even as one would say precisely, 'thus I would teach a dog.'

我辛辛苦苦地教导它,正像人家说的,教一条狗也不过如此。

I was sent to deliver him as a present to Mistress Silvia from my master; and I came no sooner into the dining-chamber but he steps me to her trencher and steals her capon's leg:

我的主人要我 把它送给西尔维娅小姐,我一脚刚踏进膳厅的门,这作怪的东西就跳到砧板上把阉鸡腿衔去了。

O, 'tis a foul thing when a cur cannot keep himself in all companies!

唉,一条狗当着众人面前,一点不懂规矩,那可真糟糕!

I would have, as one should say, one that takes upon him to be a dog indeed, to be, as it were, a dog at all things.

按道理说,要是以狗自命,作起什么事来都应当有几分狗聪明才对。

If I had not had more wit than he, to take a fault upon me that he did, I think verily he had been hanged for't; sure as I live, he had suffered for't; you shall judge.

可是它呢? 倘不是我比它聪明几分,把它的过失认在自己身上,它早给人家吊死了。你们替我评评理看,它是不是自己找死?

He thrusts me himself into the company of three or four gentlemanlike dogs under the duke's table: he had not been there--bless the mark!--a pissing while, but all the chamber smelt him.

它在公爵食桌底下和三、四条绅士模样的狗在一起,一下子就撒起尿来,满房间都是臊气。

'Out with the dog!' says one: 'What cur is that?' says another: 'Whip him out' says the third:

一位客人说,“这是哪儿来的癞皮狗?” 另外一个人说,“赶掉它!赶掉它!” 第三个人说,“用鞭子把它抽出去!”

'Hang him up' says the duke.

公爵说,“把它吊死了吧。”

I, having been acquainted with the smell before, knew it was Crab, and goes me to the fellow that whips the dogs:

我闻惯了这种尿臊气,知道是克来勃干的事,连忙跑到打狗的人面前,

'Friend,' quoth I, 'you mean to whip the dog?' 'Ay, marry, do I,' quoth he. 'You do him the more wrong,' quoth I; ''twas I did the thing you wot of.'

说,“朋友,您要打这狗吗?” 他说,“是的。”我说,“那您可冤枉了它了,这尿是我撒的。”

He makes me no more ado, but whips me out of the chamber. How many masters would do this for his servant?

他就干脆把我打一顿赶了出来。 天下有几个主人肯为他的仆人受这样的委屈?

Nay, I'll be sworn, I have sat in the stocks for puddings he hath stolen, otherwise he had been executed; I have stood on the pillory for geese he hath killed, otherwise he had suffered for't.

我可以对天发誓,我曾经因为它偷了人家的香肠而给人铐住了手脚,否则它早就一命呜呼了; 我也曾因为它咬死了人家的鹅而颈上套枷,否则它也逃不了一顿打。

Thou thinkest not of this now. Nay, I remember the

你现在可全不记得这种事情了。

trick you served me when I took my leave of Madam Silvia: did not I bid thee still mark me and do as I do? when didst thou see me heave up my leg and make water against a gentlewoman's farthingale? didst thou ever see me do such a trick?

嘿,我还记得在我向西尔维娅小姐告别的时候,你闹了怎样一场笑话。 我不是关照过你,瞧我怎么做你也怎么做吗? 你几时看见过我跷起一条腿来,当着一位小姐的裙边撒尿?你看见过我闹过这种笑话吗?

Enter PROTEUS and JULIA

普洛丢斯及朱利娅男装上。

普洛丢斯

Sebastian is thy name?

你的名字叫西巴斯辛吗?

I like thee well And will employ thee in some service presently.

我很喜欢你,就要差你做一件事情。

In what you please:

请您吩咐下来吧,

I'll do what I can.

我愿意尽力去做。

普洛丢斯

I hope thou wilt.

那很好。

To LAUNCE How now, you whoreson peasant!

(向朗斯) 喂,你这蠢才!

Where have you been these two days loitering?

这两天你究竟浪荡在什么地方?

Marry, sir, I carried Mistress Silvia the dog you bade me.

呃,少爷,我是照您的话给西尔维娅小姐送狗去的。

普洛丢斯

And what says she to my little jewel?

她看见我的小宝贝说些什么话?

Marry, she says your dog was a cur, and tells you currish thanks is good enough for such a present.

呃,她说,您的狗是一条恶狗; 她叫我对您说,您这样的礼物她是不敢领教的。

普洛丢斯

But she received my dog?

她不接受我的狗吗?

No, indeed, did she not: here have I brought him back again.

不,她不受; 现在我把它带回来了。

普洛丢斯

What, didst thou offer her this from me?

什么!你给我把这畜生送给她吗?

Ay, sir: the other squirrel was stolen from me by the hangman boys in the market-place: and then I offered her mine own, who is a dog as big as ten of yours, and therefore the gift the greater.

是的,少爷;那头小松鼠儿在市场上给那些不得好死的偷去了,所以我才把我自己的狗送去给她。 这条狗比您的狗大十倍,这礼物的价值当然也要高得多了。

普洛丢斯

Go get thee hence, and find my dog again, Or ne'er return again into my sight.

快给我去把我的狗找回来; 要是找不回来,不用再回来见我了。

Away, I say! stay'st thou to vex me here?

Exit LAUNCE A slave, that still an end turns me to shame!

(朗斯下) 这奴才老是替我丢尽了脸。

Sebastian, I have entertained thee, Partly that I have need of such a youth That can with some discretion do my business, For 'tis no trusting to yond foolish lout, But chiefly for thy face and thy behavior, Which, if my augury deceive me not, Witness good bringing up, fortune and truth:

西巴斯辛,我所以收容你的缘故,一半是因为我需要像你这样一个孩子给我做些事情,不像那个蠢汉一样靠不住; 可是大半还是因为我从你的容貌行为上,知道你是一个受过良好教养、诚实可靠的人。

Therefore know thou, for this I entertain thee.

所以记着吧,我是为了这个才收容你的。

Go presently and take this ring with thee, Deliver it to Madam Silvia:

现在你就给我去把这戒指送给西尔维娅小姐,

She loved me well deliver'd it to me.

它本来是一个爱我的人送给我的。

It seems you loved not her, to leave her token.

大概您已经不爱她了吧,所以把她的纪念物送给别人?

She is dead, belike?

是不是她已经死了?

普洛丢斯

Not so; I think she lives.

不,我想她还活看。

普洛丢斯

Why dost thou cry 'alas'?

你为什么叹气?

I cannot choose But pity her.

我禁不住可怜她。

普洛丢斯

Wherefore shouldst thou pity her?

你为什么可怜她?

Because methinks that she loved you as well As you do love your lady Silvia:

因为我想她爱您就像您爱您的西尔维娅小姐一样。

She dreams of him that has forgot her love; You dote on her that cares not for your love.

她梦寐怀念着一个忘记了她的爱情的男人; 您痴心热恋着一个不愿接受您的爱情的女子。

'Tis pity love should be so contrary; And thinking of it makes me cry 'alas!'

恋爱是这样的参差颠倒,想起来真是可叹!

普洛丢斯

Well, give her that ring and therewithal This letter.

好,好,你把这戒指和这封信送去给她;

That's her chamber.

那就是她住的房间。

Tell my lady I claim the promise for her heavenly picture.

对那位小姐说,我要向她索讨她所答应给我的她那幅天仙似的画像。

Your message done, hie home unto my chamber, Where thou shalt find me, sad and solitary.

办好了差使以后,你就赶快回来,你会看见我一个人在房里伤心。

(下。)

How many women would do such a message?

有几个女人愿意干这样一件差使?

Alas, poor Proteus! thou hast entertain'd A fox to be the shepherd of thy lambs.

唉,可怜的普洛丢斯! 你找了一头狐狸来替你牧羊了。

Alas, poor fool! why do I pity him That with his very heart despiseth me?

唉,我才是个傻子! 他那样厌弃我,我为什么要可怜他?

Because he loves her, he despiseth me; Because I love him I must pity him.

他因为爱她,所以厌弃我; 我因为爱他,所以不能不可怜他。

This ring I gave him when he parted from me, To bind him to remember my good will; And now am I, unhappy messenger, To plead for that which I would not obtain, To carry that which I would have refused, To praise his faith which I would have dispraised.

这戒指是我们分别的时候我要他永远记得我而送给他的; 现在我这不幸的使者,却要替他求讨我所不愿意他得到的东西,转送我所不愿意送去的东西,称赞我所不愿意称赞的忠实。

I am my master's true-confirmed love; But cannot be true servant to my master, Unless I prove false traitor to myself.

我真心爱着我的主人,可是我倘要尽忠于他,就只好不忠于自己。

Yet will I woo for him, but yet so coldly As, heaven it knows, I would not have him speed.

没有办法,我只能为他前去求爱,可是我要把这事情干得十分冷淡,天知道,我不愿他如愿以偿。

Enter SILVIA, attended Gentlewoman, good day! I pray you, be my mean

西尔维娅上,众女侍随上。

To bring me where to speak with Madam Silvia.

早安,小姐!有劳您带我去见一见西尔维娅小姐。

西尔维娅

What would you with her, if that I be she?

假如我就是她,你有什么见教?

If you be she, I do entreat your patience To hear me speak the message I am sent on.

假如您就是她的话,那么我奉命而来,有几句话要奉渎清听。

西尔维娅

奉谁的命而来?

From my master, Sir Proteus, madam.

我的主人普洛丢斯,小姐。

西尔维娅

O, he sends you for a picture.

噢,他叫你来拿一幅画像吗?

是的,小姐。

西尔维娅

Ursula, bring my picture here.

欧苏拉,把我的画像拿来。

Go give your master this: tell him from me, One Julia, that his changing thoughts forget, Would better fit his chamber than this shadow.

(女侍取画像至)你把这拿去给你的主人,请你再对他说,有一位被他朝三暮四的心所忘却的朱利娅,是比这个画里的影子更值得晨昏供奉的。

Madam, please you peruse this letter.-- Pardon me, madam; I have unadvised Deliver'd you a paper that I should not:

小姐,请您读一读这封信。 ——不,请您原谅我,小姐,是我大意送错了信了;

This is the letter to your ladyship.

这才是给您的信。

西尔维娅

I pray thee, let me look on that again.

请你让我再瞧瞧那一封。

It may not be; good madam, pardon me.

这是不可以的,好小姐,原谅我吧。

西尔维娅

There, hold!

那么你拿去吧。

I will not look upon your master's lines:

我不要看你主人的信,

I know they are stuff'd with protestations And full of new-found oaths; which he will break As easily as I do tear his paper.

我知道里面满是些山盟海誓的话,他说过了就把它丢在脑后,正像我把这纸头撕碎了一样不算一回事。

Madam, he sends your ladyship this ring.

小姐,他叫我把这戒指送上。

西尔维娅

The more shame for him that he sends it me; For I have heard him say a thousand times His Julia gave it him at his departure.

这尤其是他的不对; 我曾经听他说起过上千次,这是他的朱利娅在分别时候给他的。

Though his false finger have profaned the ring, Mine shall not do his Julia so much wrong.

他的没有良心的指头虽然已经玷污了这戒指,我可不愿对不起朱利娅而把它戴上。

She thanks you.

她谢谢你。

西尔维娅

What say'st thou?

你说什么?

I thank you, madam, that you tender her.

我谢谢您,小姐,因为您这样关心她。

Poor gentlewoman! my master wrongs her much.

可怜的姑娘!我的主人太对不起她了。

西尔维娅

Dost thou know her?

你也认识她吗?

Almost as well as I do know myself:

我熟悉她的为人,就像知道我自己一样。

To think upon her woes I do protest That I have wept a hundred several times.

不瞒您说,我因为想起她的不幸,曾经流过几百次的眼泪哩。

西尔维娅

Belike she thinks that Proteus hath forsook her.

她多半以为普洛丢斯已经抛弃她了吧。

I think she doth; and that's her cause of sorrow.

我想她是这样想着,这也就是她所以悲伤的缘故。

西尔维娅

Is she not passing fair?

她长得好看吗?

She hath been fairer, madam, than she is:

小姐,她从前是比现在好看多了。

When she did think my master loved her well, She, in my judgment, was as fair as you:

当她以为我的主人很爱她的时候,在我看来她是跟您一样美的;

But since she did neglect her looking-glass And threw her sun-expelling mask away, The air hath starved the roses in her cheeks And pinch'd the lily-tincture of her face, That now she is become as black as I.

可是自从她无心对镜、 懒敷脂粉以后,她的颊上的蔷薇已经不禁风吹而枯萎,她的百合花一样的肤色也已经憔悴下来,现在她是跟我一样的黑丑了。

西尔维娅

How tall was she?

她的身材怎样?

About my stature; for at Pentecost, When all our pageants of delight were play'd, Our youth got me to play the woman's part, And I was trimm'd in Madam Julia's gown, Which served me as fit, by all men's judgments, As if the garment had been made for me:

跟我差不多高; 因为在一次五旬节串演各种戏剧的时候,当地的青年要我扮做女人,把朱利娅小姐的衣服借给我穿着,刚巧合着我的身材,大家说这身衣服就像是为我而裁剪的,

Therefore I know she is about my height.

所以我知道她跟我差不多高。

And at that time I made her weep agood, For I did play a lamentable part:

我表演得那样凄惨逼真,使我那小姐忍不住频频拭泪。

Madam, 'twas Ariadne passioning For Theseus' perjury and unjust flight; Which I so lively acted with my tears That my poor mistress, moved therewithal, Wept bitterly; and would I might be dead If I in thought felt not her very sorrow!

那时候我扮着阿里阿德涅,悲痛着忒修斯的薄情遗弃; 现在她自己被人这样对待,怎么不使我为她难过! 她知道你这样同情她,一定很感激你的。

西尔维娅

She is beholding to thee, gentle youth.

Alas, poor lady, desolate and left!

唉,可怜的姑娘,被人这样抛弃不顾!

I weep myself to think upon thy words.

听了你的话,我也要流起泪来了。

Here, youth, there is my purse; I give thee this For thy sweet mistress' sake, because thou lovest her.

孩子,为了你那好小姐的缘故,我给你这几个钱,因为你是爱她的。

Exit SILVIA, with attendants

(西尔维娅及侍从下)

And she shall thank you for't, if e'er you know her.

您要是认识她的话,她也会因为您的善心而感谢您的。

A virtuous gentlewoman, mild and beautiful I hope my master's suit will be but cold, Since she respects my mistress' love so much.

她是一位贤淑美丽的贵家女子。 她这样关切着朱利娅,看来我的主人向她求爱是没有多大希望的。

Alas, how love can trifle with itself!

唉,爱情是多么善于愚弄它自己!

Here is her picture: let me see; I think, If I had such a tire, this face of mine Were full as lovely as is this of hers:

这一幅是她的画像,让我瞻仰一番。我想,我要是也有这样一顶帽子,我这面庞和她的比起来也是一样可爱;

And yet the painter flatter'd her a little, Unless I flatter with myself too much.

可是画师似乎把她的美貌格外润色了几分,否则就是我自己太顾影自怜了。

Her hair is auburn, mine is perfect yellow:

她的头发是赭色的,我的是纯粹的金黄;

If that be all the difference in his love, I'll get me such a colour'd periwig.

他如果就是为了这一点差别而爱她,那么我愿意装上一头假发。

Her eyes are grey as glass, and so are mine:

她的灰色的眼睛像水晶一样清澈,我的眼睛也是一样;

Ay, but her forehead's low, and mine's as high.

可是我的额角比她的高些。

What should it be that he respects in her But I can make respective in myself, If this fond Love were not a blinded god?

爱神倘不是盲目的,那么我有哪一点赶不上她?

Come, shadow, come and take this shadow up, For 'tis thy rival.

把这影子卷起来吧,它是你的情敌呢。

O thou senseless form, Thou shalt be worshipp'd, kiss'd, loved and adored! And, were there sense in his idolatry,

啊,你这无知无觉的形象! 他将要崇拜你、爱慕你、吻你、抱你; 倘使他的盲目的恋爱是有几分理性的话,

My substance should be statue in thy stead.

他就应该爱我这血肉之身而忘记了你;

I'll use thee kindly for thy mistress' sake, That used me so; or else, by Jove I vow, I should have scratch'd out your unseeing eyes To make my master out of love with thee!

可是因为她没有错待我,所以我也要爱惜你、珍重你;不然的话,我要发誓剜去你那双视而不见的眼睛,好让我的主人不再爱你。

Exit(下。)

赞(31)
分享到: 更多

评论 抢沙发

  • 昵称 (必填)
  • 邮箱 (必填)
  • 网址